At the AMMO Chiefs Association Reunion held in Branson MO in October 2018 there was a proposal made to consider development of an AMMO Memorial. Discussion ensued and it was agreed that any type action would need to garner the support of the Ammo Community as a whole, active duty, guard, reserve, and retired. The ACA is not the owner of this proposal but some of its members have agreed to help guide its initial formation. Further we believe a standalone non-profit organization with a committee to oversee the project will need to be formed at some future time to ensure success.
The scope of this initiative is estimated to be on par, but no smaller than something like the Military Working Dog Teams National Monument located at Lackland AFB in San Antonio TX.
Our Goal is to preserve the AMMO Heritage with a Monument or Memorial that depicts or symbolizes the efforts of the USAF Munitions Systems Career Field (461 / 2WO) personnel and their achievements.
Points to consider might include:
- Acknowledge the history of ordnance and specifically the impact of munitions personnel on the use of airpower.
- Recognize the achievements in USAF Airpower and the influence AMMO has had on these achievements.
- Memorialize the grit and determination the field has had to endure in conflicts over the years.
- Become a historical monument to the past and touchstone for the future
- Link the past to the present and enable people to remember and respect the sacrifice of those who participated in or were part of the Munitions Maintenance career field.
It should be noted that although the idea for the AMMO Memorial was conceived within the ACA, we are not to be considered the “owners” of it. When completed, “Ownership” of the Memorial will belong to all USAF AMMO Troops, past, present and future.
Since 2018 the ACA has agreed to adapt their ACA Legacy Paver Program to include all Ammo folks and adjust the price to ensure $5 of each new purchase would be dedicated to this memorial. For more information see the ACA Legacy Paver Program here: https://ammochiefs.com/aca-memorial-paver-program/ or contact the POC shown below.
Mike Roylance CMSgt USAF Retired, ACA Treasurer, [email protected], 20201105